VACANCY- EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR-REF-HJ-1511-2022
Reports to: Board of Directors
Supervises: Finance & Admin, HR Manager, Programme Managers and Programme Officers
Contract Duration: Three-year renewable contract, subject to performance and availability of funds, this contract is renewable only once.
Date Posted:15th November 2022
Category: Executive Management
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
About the Organization
Economic and Social Rights Centre (Hakijamii) is a national Non-Governmental Organization founded in 2004 and duly registered in 2007. Hakijamii’s mandate is to work with Governments, Civil Society Organizations (CSOs), Community-Based Organizations (CBOs), the private sector and Faith-Based Organizations (FBOs) to jointly create effective engagement platforms, strengthen capacities and link policy implementation to budgetary allocation towards realization of Socio-Economic Rights. The Organization has four thematic areas which are Land & Housing, Education & Litigation, Water, Health & Sanitation and Policy Research & Budgeting. The organization has presence in seven counties in Kenya: Nairobi, Mombasa, Kisumu, Isiolo, Garissa, Kwale and Kakamega.
Overall job purpose
The Executive Director (ED) is the key management leader of Hakijamii a National Human Rights Organization that amplifies the voices of vulnerable individuals and groups to effectively and directly participate in advocating for the realization of their economic, social and cultural rights in Kenya and live-in dignity. The ED is responsible for overseeing the administration and programme implementation in line with the approved Hakijamii constitution, strategic plan and policies. Other key duties include resource mobilization, organizational visibility, community outreach and providing leadership in advancement of socio-economic rights nationally and globally.
KEY RESULT AREAS:
Strategic Leadership and Direction
- Ensure development and implementation of the Strategic Plan, Annual Operating Plans and Budgets.
- Lead and supervise all affairs of Hakijamii in line with the 2021-2024 Strategic Plan.
- Providing leadership on Socio-economic rights at community and national level.
Community and Stakeholder Engagement
- Develop and maintain productive relationships with relevant stakeholders, civil society and government institutions.
- Ensure enhanced visibility of the organization through strategic networking events nationally, regionally and internationally.
Board Support and Staff Management
- Providing quarterly updates to the Board as Secretary to the Board.
- Ensure timely and accurate reporting and provide management information to the board.
- Ensure Organization compliance to the regulatory authorities.
- Lead and develop staff capable of delivering on the mandate of Hakijamii.
Fundraising and organization sustainability
- Lead in fundraising and liaising with new and existing donors.
- Ensure resources are effectively and efficiently utilized to deliver organization results.
- Present operation and financial progress reports to the board quarterly at each of its meeting.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS & JOB COMPETENCIES
- At least an advanced Degree or an equivalent in Law and/or Human Rights, social Sciences
- At least seven (7) years’ experience in managing a human rights Non-Governmental Organization.
- Exposure in dealing with human rights-based advocacy with respect to socio-economic rights.
- Ability to think strategically, develop high-level innovative and strategic initiatives.
- Ability to engage at corporate levels with organizations, institutions, public service and the state institutions.
- Proven ability in managing multi-donor grants in a multiplicity of programs and thematic areas.
- Fluent in English and Kiswahili with ability to communicate effectively, excellent interpersonal as well as written and oral presentation skills.
- Proven ability to interact with urban poor communities.
Personal Attributes & Skills
- Commitment to the struggle and values for human rights.
- Empathetic and understanding to community dynamics.
- Ability to motivate and inspire staff and volunteers.
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- Good inter-personal skills.
Applications by qualified candidates should be submitted only by email to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting the position ‘HAKIJAMII EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR’. Attach your résumé, cover letter and daytime contacts of three referees.
The deadline for submission of applications must be received not later than Tuesday 29th November 2022